This case study is focused on communications and resource sharing between high school students and faculty. The goal of this project was to create website and app prototypes to show a possible solution for the disconnect felt in remote learning.
My Role: UX Researcher & Designer
Collaborators: Dymen Barkis, Elizabeth Codick, and Sagarika Verma
Initial Research and Analysis
Interviews | Affinity Diagrams | Personas
Interviews consisted of zoom meetings that lasted between 20 minutes to an hour and a half. Participants for this study included high school students, parents, and teachers (n = 20). The interviews were semi-structured, meaning the interviewers came in with a list of questions and allowed the participants to expand off of the topics presented. The interview questions were centered around the use of online learning platforms and the struggles and advantages that are present in a remote/online learning experience. The interviews were recorded and transcribed, allowing the interviews to go back and take notes off of the interview session.
The results from our interviews and research showed that the two main areas we needed to focus on were student/teacher engagement and accessibility/usability. We found that students were missing the motivation received from in-person instruction, and students and teachers alike were daunted by the thought of learning new software, being already overwhelmed with what they were currently using.
After we distilled our data to a more narrow focus, we created personas that encompassed the types of people we interviewed.
Sketching | Low-Fidelity
Our paper sketches and wireframes led to this low-fidelity prototype and visual site map.
Inspiration | Typography | Color
An example of the inspiration we gathered from similar websites and applications. This research, paired with the data we gathered from the people we interviewed, laid the foundation for the design of our project.
We started to experiment with different combinations of type and color. Yes, my team voted with colored stars. It was surprisingly effective and allowed for open conversation!
The finalized guidelines for Pixel Paper
Desktop | Mobile
This was a valuable and relevant project with a fantastic team. If we had more time and resources, I would have loved to conducted a thorough competitor analysis, an in-person contextual inquiry, and more usability tests with our final prototypes.